08 August 2011

The Wok & Barrel by Madam Tan

Wok & Barrel - Nasi Set

The Wok & Barrel
Venue: 13 Duxton Hill, Singapore 089507
Tel: 6220 0595
Blog: http://www.madamtans.com.sg
Website: http://www.wokandbarrel.com


- The Shop
The Wok & Barrel is newly setup by Madam Tan, formerly a hawker from Maxwell Market. The restaurant serves Madam Tan's Nasi Lemak and bistro classics with bold Singaporean hawker flavours. She is consistently creating new local dishes with a modern twist and is inspire to keep the local hawker flavours going.

Wok & Barrel

As the shop is newly open, there are only 6 type of Nasi Lamak Sets, 12 Asian A-La-Carte and 3 Western Lunch sets on the menu. WAIT, don't be disappointed! There are beers, wines and signature desserts too. I heard they have recently added Bak Chor Mee Pasta (5 Spice Roast Pork with Hand Made Tegliatelle) and more craze dishes will be on the menu soon.


- The Food
Nasi Lemak Crispy Chicken Sets @ $7.90
Nasi Lemak Crispy Chicken
To be honest, I was a little disappointed when the dish arrive. I don't fancy fried chunky chicken as they are tough in most places and I assumed this will be no different. BUT I was wrong! The crispness of the skin has a unique blend of spices and yet the meat is VERY tender.

The coleslaw has a refreshing mix of crunchy shredded cabbage & carrots in a tangey Asian-inspired dressing of lime juice.

If you are a chilli lover, the sambal belachan is addictive! It arouse my appetite even I just had 3 cakes & 1 tart for dessert at FLOR with Maureen of Miss Tiam Chiak! Shiok ah! Fear not if you can't take spicy, the sambal tumis is milder.

Nasi Lemak Curry Chicken Sets @ $8.90
Nasi Lemak Curry Chicken
The curry chicken is just as tender. But I felt the curry taste is not strong enough as I am a super CHILLI lover. However, I do think the taste is just right for most Singaporean :)

The rice has a different texture from the common Nasi Lemark, unique flavour and the grains are beautifully separated. Surprisingly it's Jasmine long grain and not basmati. Madam Tan sure know how to cook.

Homemade Chin Chow @ $2.50
The chin chow is homemade with honey added. It's pretty good but too sweet for me.


- My Opinion
If you're famished and love Nasi Lemak, you MUST come to this place! I can't wait to go back to try Madam Tan's new creation.

Hope Madam Tan won't keep us waiting too long for the Chilli soft shell crab sandwiches! :p

You have no excuse not to drop by if you're staying and working far away, because they are open from Tue-Sun (closed on Monday).

Oh, did I mention that they don't charge GST & Svs Charge too?
Wok & Barrel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Celestial Delish ツ

Similar Post:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...